Real Estate Managing Director of Accounting
Bond Companies is a leading real estate development and investment firm with offices in Los Angeles and Chicago. Our team is growing, and we have an immediate need for a full-time Real Estate Managing Director of Accounting in both our Chicago offices.
Since 1987, Bond Companies has been a recognized leader in real estate. In the past two years alone, the company has won best office and best multifamily awards from The Wall Street Journal, Multifamily Executive, and both the Charlotte and Los Angeles Business Journals amongst other accolades.
The company’s focus is on multi-family acquisitions and development. We are looking for an enthusiastic self-starter who is friendly, dynamic, energetic, team oriented, well-organized and dependable. You will work directly with our core acquisition and development team including the Chairman, President, VP of Development, Project Manager, and accounting team in Chicago and Los Angeles. If you meet the following criteria, we would love to hear from you.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Real Estate Managing Director of Accounting position is responsible for the accounting operations of the company, to include the production of periodic financial reports, maintenance of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company's reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with income tax basis of accounting and international financial reporting standards. Your role and responsibilities include the following:
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures
- Oversee all accounting operations, including the design of an organizational structure adequate for achieving the department's goals and objectives
- Oversee the accounting operations of Property ledgers, Ownership Holding Companies, including the commercial and residential property management companies
- Manage a team of six members of the accounting department
- Ensure compliance with company policies and procedures. Propose and incorporate new policies, procedures, and/or software and technology to maximize team efficiencies
- Stay abreast of new accounting pronouncements and serve as technical accounting subject matter expert for the company.
Reporting & Compliance
- Issue timely and complete financial statements to ownership on a monthly basis for property ledgers and quarterly for management companies and ownership holding companies
- Monthly Budget to actual analyses
- Monitor quarterly and annual lender compliance requirements
- Coordinate with investor relations on timely distribution of financial information to investors
- Coordinate with Property Management teams and Accounting Managers on annual budget preparation and sign-off
- Provide financial analyses as needed, in particular for capital investments, pricing decisions, and contract negotiations
- Coordinate annual audit requirements for the entities that require an audit with the external accounting firms.
- Coordinate with external accounting firms on timely review and preparation of tax returns for federal, state, and local requirements
- Strategic tax planning over significant transaction in coordination with external tax preparers and legal advisors
- Monitor state registrations and annual filing fee dues
- Perform quarterly reconciliations of the management company ledgers
- Oversee maintenance of general ledger chart of accounts.
- Oversee management of new buildings, accounts, etc. in the general ledger system
- Ensure compliance with joint venture reporting requirements
Revenue & AR Cycle
- Oversee timely billing of tenants on a monthly basis
- Monitor collections and review Tenant Performance
- Final sign-off of annual CAM reconciliations
- Oversee lease management in the system (i.e., new leases entered into system, termination of old leases, final reconciliations of tenant accounts).
- Final Sign-off of New Billing Estimates in conjunction with annual budget preparation.
Cash and Accounts Payable Cycle
- Ensure monthly bank reconciliations are reconciled monthly
- Monitor Cash on weekly basis
- Oversee weekly payables processing and check-cutting process
- Weekly approval of wire coding and non-tenant Cash receipts that are usually tied to atypical transactions
- Review of Annual 1099 filing compliance and coordination with external accounting teams
- Annual review and maintenance of active vendors in the AP system
- Review and oversight of the monthly real estate tax calendar
- Monitoring monthly loan payment calendar
- Coordinate / approve wire transfers for non-recurring transactions
- Maintain banking relationships and loan relationships
- Oversee set-up, maintenance, and closure of bank accounts
- Oversee monthly processing of management fees
- Oversee and coordinate compliance with personal property tax assessments with property managers of residential properties
- Review and calendar of Loan Agreements and monitor maturity dates, debt covenant requirements
- Final sign-off of new loan transactions, including review of agreements, review of final closing statements and coordinating final wire transactions
- Prepare wire transfers
Real Estate Asset Cycle
- Review acquisition and disposition transactions, including review of purchase and sale agreements, review of purchase price prorations, sign-off over final closing statements, coordinating final wire transactions
- For development properties placed into service, coordinate cost segregation study with external accounting firms to facilitate placing a property into service under IRS rules
- Review of Draw Budgets and reconciliation to Capital structure of the entity for development projects at the start of the project as well as participation in monthly reviews and monthly payment of development fees to the management company
- Review Fixed Asset Schedule as part of monthly close procedures
- Review Depreciation in accordance with income tax basis of accounting.
- Calculate waterfall schedules for significant transactions and coordinate distributions with investors in accordance with the terms of the LLC Agreements
- Oversee proper maintenance of investor capital accounts and basis schedules in general ledger, equity reconciliation schedules and investor portal
- Review LLC Agreements to ensure appropriate compliance with allocation of net income/loss provisions as well as IRS Tax basis reporting
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance, Master’s a plus
- Accounting designation (CPA, CMA)
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in senior accounting or financial management roles
- Prefer experience with a commercial real estate development or similar organization (knowledge of the construction draw process preferred).
- Strong budgeting, financial forecasting and analytical skills, and confidence with revenue generation and cost reduction strategies
- Significant expertise in Microsoft office applications specifically Excel.
- Preferred knowledge of Sage, MRI and Yardi.
- Strong strategic planning and execution skills
- Strong social and interpersonal skills
- High energy and a strong desire to be constantly challenged.
- Accounting / Control
10+ to 15 years
Apply for this job