IFF is a mission-driven lender, real estate consultant, and developer that helps communities thrive. Key to our success has been a deep sense of purpose, a broad perspective, and a relentless focus on achieving positive results. Across the Midwest we help clients from every sector, including human service agencies, health centers, schools, affordable housing developers, and healthy food grocery operators. Staff contribute extensive business experience and an unrivaled connection to the mission of IFF to the clients we serve.
IFF is looking for candidates with a commitment to the work we do who can demonstrate their creativity, diligence, enthusiasm, growth-mindset, thoughtfulness, and passion to make meaningful change in the areas of economic and racial justice.
Our staff of more than 100 professionals works from our Chicago headquarters, and we also serve the Midwest from six regional offices: Indianapolis, IN; Detroit, MI; Kansas City, MO; St. Louis, MO; Columbus, OH; and Milwaukee, WI with Grand Rapids, MI and Cleveland, OH, offices opening in 2021.
Basic Job Function
The Project Manager, Development is an active contributor to projects conceptualized and managed by Lead Developers. The Project Manager, Development works on many development projects simultaneously, participates in departmental planning meetings for projects, is an active Development Team member and proactively supports the project-related work of Lead Developers and the broader department as needed.
The Project Manager, Development will support and, increasingly, lead independent task work to support larger aspects of shared team responsibility, including RFQ and RFP development, procurement strategies, community engagement, financial modeling, financing applications, entitlements, due diligence, capital stack structuring, and closing transactions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Assists Lead Developers in coordinating all aspects of project management including concept development, budgeting, team coordination, and organization with the goal of meeting project goals and milestones grounded in IFF’s equitable community development principles. Specific duties of the Project Manager, Development can include:
- Coordinated communication with project funders, municipalities, lenders and stakeholders to advance projects or determine project viability.
- Proactive support and, at the direction of the Lead Developers, leadership in all aspects of projects, including acquisition and site control, report writing and preparation, preparing materials and providing support for external meetings.
- Coordinated engagement community stakeholders towards project development including support and/or leadership with facilitation of public meetings and other community engagement activities.
- Proactive support and/or leadership within the development team on the delivery of complex real estate development projects, with financial, construction and legal aspects.
- Assistance and/or leadership in RFP/RFQ development, procurement, financial modeling, capital stack structuring, preparing financing applications, closing transactions and project feasibility concepts.
- Highly effective, proactive, solutions oriented, and customer centered project management grounded in IFF’s principles of equitable community development. Ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team as needed in service to the project goals and needs.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrates growth from an intermediary knowledge of building design, construction, development, community engagement, and financial underwriting practices.
- Successful management of competing project priorities and embracing the many leadership and learning opportunities within the department and across the organization.
- Demonstrates intellectual curiosity, independent learning skills, and interest in development projects and processes.
- Maintains required job knowledge and skills and core professional competencies, attends and participates in required educational programs and staff meetings.
- Successful completion of projects according to goals set forth for each project, the project budget and schedule, and Development’s policies and procedures. Completed projects meet quality standards.
- Demonstrates a high level of internal and external client satisfaction on work products.
- Internal and external meetings are facilitated in an organized way and are meaningful to the participants. Outcomes of these meetings are analyzed and well presented.
- Cultivates a culture of openness in information sharing. Encourages open communication, cooperation, and the sharing of knowledge. Models personal accountability that promotes ownership and engagement.
- Values and supports differences in others, contributing to an inclusive work environment. Demonstrates the ability and willingness to communicate effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and experiences to create a collaborative, collegial, and caring community.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree required, preferably in urban planning or studies, business or finance. Demonstrated 4-6 years experience in real estate development and project management is an acceptable equivalent to specific degrees above.
Special Knowledge & Skills:
- General knowledge of real estate development projects and process.
- Basic knowledge of affordable housing programs, community development, charter schools, or early childhood education preferred.
- Analytical and strategic skills; ability to plan, manage and implement multiple and complex projects; and ability to understand and conceptualize project goals.
- Intermediary understanding of finance and lending practices and protocols.
- Excellent communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills.
- Interest in working in a busy team environment, managing many relationships and project partners.
- Passion to grow real estate development project management skills.
- Experience with a variety of computer software related to project management, including word processing, database programs, spreadsheet and project management packages.
Application Instructions: Please submit a cover letter, resume and salary requirements with “Project Manager, Development” in the subject line.
IFF values equity, diversity and inclusion as part of its mission to strengthen nonprofits and the communities they serve. IFF is an equal opportunity employer.
- Project Management
5+ to 7 years
This job is no longer active.