Do you want a career and not just a job? Are you ready to make a difference and not just make a living? Do you desire to have an impact on the future of Real Estate in a world-class organization? Is it time take the dive into your next great adventure? If so, apply now as your first step towards joining one of the most dynamic and innovative teams in the business today.
McDonald’s is the world’s leading global foodservice retailer with over 36,000 locations in over 100 countries. Our U.S. business includes Home office headquarters located in Chicago, IL, and ten field offices located across the country, supporting our employees, brand and more than 14,000 restaurants ran by McDonald's and our franchisees.
At McDonald's, we believe it's our mission to offer dynamic careers for a variety of business functions including, but not limited to positions working in Operations, Finance, Human Resources, Learning and Development, Marketing, Consumer Business Insights and Communications.
We believe that a career here is an opportunity for you to be the best at what you're passionate about, in a supportive, inclusive environment where you are valued and respected. We are dedicated to building a committed workplace that rewards and recognizes you for your loyal contribution and supporting you by offering growth and advancement opportunities. We believe the best people in the world work right here.
Our Corporate Home Office has an exciting opportunity for a Real Estate Property Portfolio Manager for markets supported by the Walnut Creek field office. This is a remote position; however, you should live within driving distance from the Walnut Creek field office. You can expect considerable travel of 30 to 50+ percent depending on location. The scope of the travel is within the pacific northwest territory/region (including Alaska and Hawaii).
As a Real Estate Property Portfolio Manager, you will partner with the field office and national teams to resolve issues and complete property management tasks for existing restaurants once they are a year old. You will protect and defend McDonald's rights as property owners and tenants, reducing and controlling site maintenance costs, enhancing sites with improved access, signage, parking and visibility. You will also oversee site maintenance issues.
This role resides in Dallas, TX.
In addition to following McDonald’s policies and procedures, your principal accountabilities will include, but are not restricted to:
Maximizing Existing Assets
- Improves existing asset base by managing & ensuring resolution of property issues, including Condemnations, Easements, CAM Disputes, Lease & Land Rights protection, Estoppel Requests, Excess Property, Consents from Landlords, Co-tenants, etc, where required as part of any development initiative, & Non-monetary Defaults.
- Seeks opportunities for income potential in RE assets (e.g., cell towers, air rights, unidentified marketable real estate excess, easements, RE Tax opportunities, CAM opportunities, billboards, etc.).
- Utilizes current Development Standards to optimize the sales performance of existing restaurants (e.g. visibility, 24 hour, drive-thru, landscaping, signage, access, egress, easements).
- Renegotiates agreements with Landlords, Co-tenants, and jurisdictions/municipalities where necessary to facilitate required site remedies and/or development initiatives.
Vision Planning / Rebuild Packages
- Collaborates with RE Portfolio Lead & others to create, maintain & update the Vision Plan for the existing portfolio.
- Negotiates terms and conditions of RE agreements for additional property as required for existing locations.
- Assembles and presents Rebuild packages to management for approval.
- Works with Construction to secure all required approvals.
- Works closely with Field RE Lead, Construction, Legal Department Attorneys, Property Administration, Finance, REF Accounting, Asset Managers, Franchisees, landlords & governmental authorities on defaults, CAM questions, property tax, tenant/landlord inquiries & disputes, easements, condemnations, litigation, & violations.
- Builds and maintains relationships and dialogue with the Field Office (FO) leadership, owner operators, landlords, & governmental authorities.
- Represents McDonald’s by participating in professional organizations & attending public hearings.
- Conducts regular communication with FET Restaurant Development Management including Development Director and Construction Manager to maintain alignment with the regional plan & participate in the FET planning process.
- Provides input on the existing RE portfolio as requested for Operator’s Business Reviews and/or Franchise Planning Meetings.
Problem Solving and Innovation
- Consults with the Coordinators, Franchisees, Construction Managers, & Operations regarding issues related to maintaining the property by coordinating internal & external resources.
- Meets with Landlord and resolves issues such as common area responsibility and compliance, conducts on-site inspections to observe & resolve issues and problems.
- Coordinates restaurant closings.
- Works with Legal Department Attorneys, governmental authorities, Area Construction Managers, & outside consultants for the following matters related to condemnations: (a) estimating value of improvements taken and cost to restore (e.g. curbing, asphalt, outdoor playlands, sign relocation, landscaping); (b) aligning with municipality w/code; (c) negotiating compensation from condemning authority; (d) preparation of condemnation impact reports; (e) revising & working with legal to execute documents.
- Works with Finance Managers & Legal to initiate Legal notice & default for past due accounts receivable for Tenant properties.
- Prepares & disseminates project tracking reports to the regions & management using McD tracking tool.
- Works with the Region & Excess Property Team on store closing processes & transitioning the property Landlords or disposition.
- H.S. diploma or equivalent required
- 3 to 5+ years of commercial real estate experience
- 2+ years of lease review & direct negotiation experience
- 1+ years of project management experience
- BA/BS degree in real estate preferred
- Experience working in the retail sector and/or facilities
- Property management, paralegal or title company background with real estate or construction experience would be a plus
- Experience working with governmental processes such as permitting, zoning, special use, licensing, & condemnations
- Experience using surveys, site plans, & building plans
- Experience in RE tax abatements
- Experience managing the outsourcing of facilities, property maintenance & excess property
- Superior communication (written and verbal) & interpersonal skills
- Strong RE financial acumen, including time value of money, discount & capitalization rate theory & techniques, OAR, Ye, IRR, and R.O.I.
- Driven self-starter with a willingness to take on difficult issues and deal with potentially adversarial persons
- High level of prioritization and organizational skills to take care of multiple projects
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.