Mortenson’s success is not a matter of luck; it’s a result of our ingenuity, expertise, and exceptional people coupled with our unparalleled focus on customer service.
Our foundation and culture are based upon our values of trust, safety, teamwork, responsibility, service and stewardship. We are inspired by a compelling purpose to build structures and facilities for the advancement of modern society and a mission to create an exceptional customer experience. Mortenson has built a reputation for being a leader in our industry and in the communities in which we live and work.
It all starts with our extraordinary people and collaborative teams. Mortenson has been voted a "best place to work" over 40 times since 2002…
…What are you waiting for?
The Big Picture:
(MDI) is the real estate development arm of Mortenson’s business, offering a comprehensive set of expertise to create and to facilitate the development of projects while increasing value for customers and investors. MDI partners across the value chain to align facilities solutions, financial opportunities, and business needs.
MDI is seeking a dynamic thought leader in the real estate industry to support the strategic vision, long- term growth and continuous development of client relationships in the Minneapolis market. This leader will be responsible for executing new development and acquisitions of value-add opportunities across Mortenson’s Midwest region with a focus on asset classes that include Industrial, medical, residential, and mixed-use.
Mortenson is consistently ranked as a top integrated developer and builder throughout the country in industries that include industrial, medical, residential, and mixed-use properties. MDI provides comprehensive turnkey solutions, including strategic planning, site/asset acquisition, tenant procurement, financial feasibility, debt and equity sourcing, government process, and design and construction oversight that help customers and partners navigate the complexity of the commercial real estate industry.
Notable Recent MDI Projects in the Midwest Include:
- Mayo Clinic Discovery Square (Rochester, MN)
- Rafter Apartments (Minneapolis, MN)
- 4 Marq Apartments (Minneapolis, MN)
- Hilton Garden Inn (Madison, WI)
- Mall of America Expansion (Bloomington, MN)
- Marriott AC (Minneapolis, MN)
- Crown Ironworks Industrial (Blaine, MN)
- Northern Stacks Industrial (Fridley, MN)
Mortenson is currently seeking a Development Executive responsible for creating and executing innovative development opportunities while generating superior returns by possessing a thorough understanding of market forces, a deep commitment to value creation and unwavering dedication to an exceptional customer experience. The Development Executive will broaden MDI’s brand as a partner to investors, customers, and the community.
The incumbent in this role will report to and receive oversight from MDI’s Vice President of Development and will work closely with Mortenson’s senior and executive leadership teams.
Position location: Minneapolis, Minnesota Travel: Up to 10%, as required to meet business needs
What will you be doing?
- Implement a development strategic plan for the business:
- Understand the market and how to capitalize on new development opportunities using a creative and entrepreneurial
- Work collaboratively with operating group leaders ensure a consistent market strategy across
- Network with customers, architects, brokers, financial institutions, and other leaders in the market to gather market
- Provide Company management with information regarding current market conditions, including supply, demand, and competitor
- Develop and maintain debt and equity capital relationships, introducing and managing the relationships to the Capital Markets team.
- Identify and source opportunities to grow the portfolio, positioning MDI and Mortenson as a strategic partner to customers, supporting business case development through project
- Collaborate with customers to understand business needs and provide industry-based strategic guidance into real estate development
- Cooperate with legal counsel in the preparation of Purchase Agreements and related legal documentation necessary to complete
- Be active in relevant industry associations and real estate organizations.
- Oversee and coordinate the entitlement process and underwriting and due diligence of assigned transactions, including financial modeling, board approval presentations, market surveys, tenant credit analysis, tenant interviews and ordering, coordinating, and analyzing third party reports.
- Execute the development processes for all acquired land, developing strategic business plans to maximize cash flow and value.
- Lead transition of developed property to the asset management team for ongoing business plan execution.
As a leader at Mortenson, the Development Manager is expected to demonstrate the following leadership competencies:
- Strategic Perspective – Understands the market, identifies trends, and creates competitive and breakthrough Pursues and capitalizes on the best opportunities.
- High Integrity – Behaves in an honest, fair, and ethical manner. Shows consistency in words and actions, building trust through transparent and direct
- Builds Relationships – Develops, maintains, and strengthens partnerships with others inside and outside the organization. Invests the time to connect with those who can provide information, assistance, and
- Resilience – Remains focused, engaged, and effective despite setbacks, transforming challenges into opportunities and integrating learning to move forward
- Powerful Communicator – Possesses the ability to plan and deliver persuasive oral and written communication. Shares ideas and information appropriately, ensuring the right stakeholders are informed and
- Analytical Thinking – Demonstrates strong intellectual curiosity and the ability to analyze and critically evaluate information to overcome challenges and determine the best path
How will you succeed?
- 5-15 years of relevant experience in the real estate industry with proven ability to create and to execute on ideas that lead to real estate
- Business development expertise with a track record of growing and building customer relationships. Established relationships with industrial industry is preferred.
- Proven professional expertise in the entire real estate development process from site acquisition to project financing
- Strong financial acumen, including quantitative analysis, risk assessment and financial modeling.
- Superior customer service skills and a keen focus on achieving mutually beneficial partnerships and
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritizing effectively to coordinate numerous activities and groups of people to achieve maximum efficiency and a successful
- Critical characteristics: self-directed, organized, responsive, tenacious, independent, creative and collaborative.
- Bachelor’s degree is required with coursework in real estate, finance, engineering, business, or another related field preferred. Graduate degree in real estate or related field of study also preferred.
Mortenson is a federal contractor and is required to comply with the President’s , which requires employees working on or in connection with covered contracts or at covered contractor workplaces to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by January 18, 2022, unless an accommodation for a sincerely held religious belief or disability is approved. In addition, a number of Mortenson’s other customers have also implemented vaccination requirements to access their facilities or project sites. As a condition of employment, applicants who have received an offer of employment will be required to provide proof of their COVID-19 vaccination or have an approved accommodation for a sincerely held religious belief or disability.
Mortenson is an EOE/Affirmative Action/M/F/Veteran/Disabled employer.
- Alternative Investments
- Hospitality / Entertainment
5+ to 7 years
Apply for this job